Okay, now that we're home and starting to recover, I'm finally feeling up to getting online and letting everyone in on the wonderful day we experienced on Monday, February 4th. Warning: To those that don't like gore, or just don't want to know any more about the birth other than a baby was born...you may NOT want to continue reading this update!
While Jason is absolutely sure that I orchestrated everything just so I wouldn't have to go to work on Monday, I guarantee, I had nothing to do with the series of events that occurred! About 4am on Monday morning, I was woken up by my water breaking at home (I'll spare you those details.) I was excited because that hadn't happened naturally with Maura. However, I wasn't having any contractions yet, so we kinda hung out for awhile. Around 7am, while I had started to have contractions, I wasn't too concerned that things were moving as quickly as they could have been. So, I called the hospital to see what they thought I should do...you guessed it - they said I should come on in so they could monitor me and the baby. So, we got dressed, took Maura to daycare, and headed on into the hospital. Once there, they hooked me up to the monitors (one for baby's heartbeat and one for my contractions). Things looked good, but nothing exciting. So we waited...and waited...and waited. After several hours, things still weren't progressing, so I had the Pitocin started to speed things up. Boy, was I wrong! While my contractions got a little more intense, I still wasn't dilating. Great (for those of you who were around for the birth of Maura, does all of this sound strangely familiar???) So, I got the epidural to help with the pain. And we waited some more. By now, it was about 9pm. The nurse and my doctor had been kinda thinking we might be heading for a C-section scenario...which I really didn't want. When the nurse checked me, I still was only at about a 3 or 4. So, she had another nurse come in to check me - just to make sure. Here's where it got fun...This nurse (Sara) came in and was trying to kid around with me (imagine...I was a little cranky by this point.) I don't remember why, but she threatened to turn my epidural off, so I threatened to kick her...she laughed and told me I couldn't because of the epidural...man, while she was right, I couldn't kick her, I sure got her anyway! As she was checking me, there was another gush of water (ha - now her legs were wet). Apparently, I had 2 bags of water. This one seemed to be the magical one, because as soon as it broke, things really started to move. It was in front of the baby's head, preventing it from making me dilate. Needless to say, it broke, I dilated, I pushed 6 times through 4 contractions for about 20 minutes, and out came the newest member of our family at 10:25pm!
This labor was definitely different from the first one, but they were both hard in their own ways. This one only lasted 18 hours (versus 38 hours with Maura). But that was still more than enough! However, both of them have been well worth it in the end. We now have our complete family with 2 beautiful girls. Welcome to the family Teagan!
We'll continue to update this website with pics of both girls as they grow and change, so check back often to keep up with the Russell Family!
No comments:
Post a Comment